1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Family Law
  4.  | 
  5. Property Division
  6.  | Property Division FAQs

Answering Your Property Division Questions

Attorney Patricia Vital has over two decades of legal experience in divorce. She has a unique understanding of Tennessee courts and both their historical and present approaches to property division.

For answers to questions about your specific circumstances, reach Ms. Vital at her offices today. Call Vital Law Office & Dispute Resolution Services at 423-822-2513.

What Property Is Subject To Property Division?

Any property acquired or substantially altered during your marriage is classified as marital property. This means that if you bought a house, opened a retirement fund or started a business, that property can be subject to division. Some exceptions exist for property owned before a marriage and for inherited property. To get a full assessment of your holdings, contact the firm today.

What Will Happen To My Retirement Account Or Pension?

Depending on the length of your marriage and your personal circumstances, your retirement account and pension may be subject to property division. In many cases, Ms. Vital can negotiate a positive outcome before the court divides this property arbitrarily.

Do I Need To Change My Will And Estate?

Yes. Property division means that your holdings will no longer be the same as they were prior to your divorce. You should take a full accounting of your post-divorce property and adjust your will accordingly.

Where Can I Go For Help?

Ms. Vital has substantial experience helping couples undergoing divorce, including years of experience helping couples with complex assets divide their property fairly and sustainably. She can help you take a full accounting of what you own and prioritize your needs accordingly. Contact her by email today.